Step One – Grant Application
Applicants may submit a one-page application to the Catholic Foundation. Applications are accepted annually between mid-April and noon on June 1st. The 2019 application cycle will begin April 15 and end at noon on June 1. Click here to view 2019 Mercy Fund grant application.
Please contact Kathy Tomasik at (219) 769-9292 extension 247 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Step Two – Interview and Committee Review
Eligible applicants will be contacted to schedule a phone interview with a member of the Grants Committee, during which additional information will be obtained about the project seeking funding. The interview will be summarized and presented to the Foundation’s Grants Committee for review.
In preparation for the interview, applicants should be prepared to consider the following:
- The relevance of the proposal to the Mercy Fund’s purpose and the Foundation’s primary focus areas.
- The organization’s capacity to carry out the project
- The degree to which the project includes clearly-defined outcomes, credible strategies for achieving them, reliable methods for measuring them, and plans for using these results to make program improvements
- The potential for replicating or otherwise leveraging the project to achieve a broader benefit
- The organization’s plan to secure funding after the grant period
- The availability of Foundation resources (some applicants may be turned down simply because our resources are limited)
The Catholic Foundation will provide a written response to each applicant indicating whether or not the project has been approved for funding.
Step Three – Acceptance and Reporting
Grant awards are made for one twelve-month period, during which recipients agree to the following:
- sign an agreement stipulating terms and conditions of the grant,
- participate in an event recognizing the receipt of grant funding,
- actively publicize the grant award and participate in media directives related to the grant award, and to the extent the media is not a Catholic publication, work with the Executive Director prior to any contact with mainstream media,
- host a site visit for Catholic Foundation representatives,
- submit a final report, to include a full financial accounting of expenditures, as well as narrative reports of the project outcomes, and
- participate in an on-going mentorship program between recipients and new applicants.
Visit here for a list of important dates for 2019.
2019 Mercy Fund Granting Timeline
April 15, 2019 — Online Application Process Opens
June 1, 2019 — Grant Application Deadline
June and July 2019 — Finalists’ Interviews
August, 2019 — Final Board Decision
August, 2019 — Grant Awards Announced
September 1, 2019 — Twelve month grant period begins
November 20, 2019 — Grant recipients recognized at annual Friends of the Foundation Reception
August 31, 2020 — Final Grant Report Deadline